5 pro tips for getting the most out of Discord
Hey OMGeeks, hope you’ve been enjoying our community’s Discord server. It’s been great reconnecting with old friends and also making new ones. If you’re new to OMGeek and would like to join us on Discord, check out this page to learn more.
In a nutshell, Discord is where the OMGeek community hangs out online. We’re on at all times of the day and are prone to discussing games from every genre and on every platform. We’re also likely to organize games and do giveaways from time to time, so come check us out!
But even if you’re already a seasoned veteran of Discord, here are 5 tips for getting the most out of your time with us on the OMGeek server.
- Download the Discord Desktop app - This is great because Discord doubles as a gaming VOIP client. The web app is decent, but if you want push to talk (PTT) functionality when Discord is not the active window you’ll need to install the desktop app. This also lets everyone in the channel know what game you're currently playing so you can get people to join you or ask to set up a session.
- Say Hi! - Get friendly with your fellow Geeks! It starts off by saying hi, and perhaps a brief introduction to yourself. That always helps break the ice right? Who knows? You may make a friend or ten.
- Stay in touch - keep the Discord app running, or if you're at work and run it on your browser, go ahead and bookmark a tab in your browser so you'll always be able to stay in touch or talk gaming and hang with the community when you feel the need to.
- Download one of the mobile apps available for iOS and Android. Great if you're just bored on a long commute or again just want to keep in touch. Personally I like it too because since I don’t have a second screen (yet) the @ mentions ping me on my mobile and let me know someone’s trying to get in touch with me if I’m away or playing a game.
- Visit the Promos - Giveaways channel periodically - That's a place for us to share the game offers we find online - Or even snag some cool free swag from OMGeek partners from time to time.
So there you have it, everything you need to know about joining the community and being a part of our growing group of Geeks from all over Southeast Asia. Let us know what you think in the comments below and of course join us on Discord right now!